The social media platform Snapchat has come a long way since it’s launch in July of 2011.
At the platform's launch, Snapchat was created as part of a project for a product design class.
Originally, Snapchat was called Picaboo thanks to the ghost logo that we have all come to know and love. Over time, as people have learned how to use Snapchat, the platform has grown into the everyday life of the general public.
Snapchat statistics for 2019
While Snapchat has grown into one of the largest social media platforms on the market, it has become a great marketing platform for businesses.
Snapchat for business is a great way to reach a large audience. With 300M+ users eager to soak up SnapChat’s content, why shouldn’t they see yours too?
Use these Snapchat statistics for 2019 and get a better understanding of what Snapchat can do for you and your brand.
In this article, you’ll find Snapchat statistics on:
- Snapchat users and demographics
- User growth rate
- Snapchat marketing statistics
- Snapchat revenue statistics
- Stats on using Snapchat
- Snapchat open-rate statistics
- Snapchat has over 300 million active users around the globe. (Omnicoreagency, 2019)
- 23 percent of people in the U.S between the age of 12-17 use Snapchat. (Statista, 2016)
- 34 percent of people in the U.S between the age of 18-24 also use Snapchat. (Statista, 2016)
- People between the age of 25-34, roughly 26 percent of them use Snapchat in the U.S (Statista, 2016)
- Studies show that 77 percent of college students use Snapchat Daily. (Mashable)
- Only 12 percent of people in the U.S between the age of 35-54 use Snapchat (Statista, 2016)
- Snapchat is the second most important platform among teenagers with Instagram taking first (Businessinsider, 2017)
- Roughly 70 percent of Snapchats total user base are female, with the remaining 30 percent being male. (Omnicoreagency, 2019)
- In North America alone there are 80 million Snapchat users. Moving over to Europe they have roughly 60 million users, and there are 47 million users in the remaining parts of the world. (Sec.gov, 2017)
- The millennial internet user base accounts for 45 percent of Snapchat user on the global scale. (Emarketer)
- Snapchat’s user base grew by 48 percent between Q4 of 2015 and Q4 of 2015 (Recode, 2017)
- In 2018, Snapchat’s daily user base fell to 186 million in Q3, down from the 191 million in Q1. (Statista, 2018)
- In 2017 when Instagram launched its Instagram stories, Snapchat saw a huge amount of user growth up to 82% due to the direct competition. (Techcrunch, 2017)
- Marketers are predicting that in the year 2022, Snapchat will have 103.6 million users in the U.S (Statista, 2017)
- Around 55 percent of Snapchat users have reported that they follow one or more brands on the platform. (Aytm, 2016)
- Marketers are expecting Snapchat to make $660 million USD in advertising revenue. (Emarketer, 2018)
- When Snapchat users are looking for a brand to follow, 64 percent of the users will search by the brand's name. (Snaplytics, 2016)
- With Snapchat having 187 million daily users, the average user opens the app 19 times per day. This is creating a rise for In-app advertisement. (Adweek, 2018)
- The average user watches 60 percent of in-app advertisements with the sound on. (Snapchat, 2017)
- Over 50 percent of Snapchat users will open a brand’s story, and, of those, 86 percent will watch the entire story. (Campaignlive, 2017)
- 28.3 percent of all U.S marketers used Snapchat in 2018. (Emarketer, 2018)
- In 2018 Snapchat saw an increase in Ad revenue of 18.7 percent from the previous year. (Emarketer, 2018)
- 25 percent of the Snapchat user base will use a Snapcode to find a brand they are looking for. (Snaplytics, 2016)
- Less than 10 percent of Snap users will use a deep link (a deep link is when a user who already has your app swipes up on your ad, they are directed to the location in your app defined by your deep link.) to find a brand they want to follow. (Snaplytics, 2016)
- In 2017, Snapchat made 824.9 Million in revenue. (Gobankingrates, 2017)
- Snapchat’s market cap is estimated to be between $10 and $20 billion. (Gobankingrates, 2017)
- As of February 2019, Snapchat’s price per share is $9.19. (Yahoo Finance. 2019)
- According to experts at Gobankingrates, “Based on Snapchat’s revenue and profits from the last three years, Snapchat has a negative valuation of minus $4 billion.” (Gobankingrates, 2018)
- In February of 2018 Kylie Jenner’s Snapchat negative remarks lead the company to lose 1 billion dollars of market value. (Gobankingrates. 2018)
- After Snapchat ran an offensive Rihanna ad in 2018, the company lost an estimated 800 million dollars. (Vanityfair, 2018)
- The average revenue per user on Snapchat is $1.53 according to Snapchat’s Q4 2017 reportings. (Securities and exchange commission, 2017)
- Snapchat went public In March of 2017, after saying they would sell 200 million shares worth 3.4 billion dollars. (Marketwatch, 2017)
- Influencers on Snapchat with three to seven million followers can earn an estimated $75,000 for a Snapchat post according to an interview with Captiv8. (NY Times, 2016)
- Influencers with 50,000 to 500,000 followers can earn on average $1,000 for a single post on Snapchat. (NY times, 2016)
- One of the top Instagram influencers at this moment is DJ Khaled bringing in a whopping two million views per story. (Wojdylosocialmedia, 2019)
- In 2017 the average number of snaps sent per day was 3.5 billion. (Statista, 2017)
- The longest Snapchat streak as of May 15th 2018, was 1,154 snaps. (Techjunkie, 2019)
- 528,000 Snaps are sent every minute around the world. (Omnicoreagency, 2019)
- 64% of users worldwide use Snapchat to send messages. (Statista, 2018)
- Snapchat’s geofilters are viewed over 1.5 million times through Snapchat Stories and message viewers every minute. (Business Insider, 2017)
- Snapchat’s geofilters are viewed 2.16 billion times a day through stories and direct snaps. (Business insider, 2017)
- On average, Snapchat charges $5 to $20 per day to run an on-demand geofilter for a day over an average sized home. (Buycustomgeofilters, 2019)
- 40-to-60 percent of daily Snapchat users will see a nationally delivered geo-filter (Smart Insights, 2018).
Growing your social media marketing presence
All of these Snapchat statistics make it clear: Snapchat is full of opportunities to build a brand with audiences around the world. And, with over one-fourth of marketers using Snapchat, businesses can not only connect with customers, they can connect with each other, too.
Learn how Snapchat can help your business with the Ultimate Guide to Snapchat for Business.