A company’s most valuable asset is its employees.
This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but any successful organization simply couldn’t survive without its employees and the work they do every day.
That said, employees are also a company’s most expensive asset.
Sure, offices, travel, and certain “perks” can add up, but when you crunch the numbers, those salaries you pay are costing your business a pretty penny.
Obviously, this is expected – I’m sure an executive has never looked back and wished they paid their top performers less. That said, when you’re committing such a significant amount of your budget to your workforce, you want to make sure you’re consistently hiring the best of the best.
This requires the work of a recruiter – an employee devoted to sourcing, interviewing, hiring, and on-boarding the best possible candidates for your workplace.
Generally, recruiters, will work either in-house or for an agency, depending on their experience and career aspirations.
In-house recruiters are an employee at the company for which they’re recruiting and cover the hiring needs of that single company. This means that not only do they hire based on the candidate’s skill-set and experience, but also according to whether or not he or she would be a culture fit.
On the other hand, agency recruiters, or those recruiters who work at staffing agencies, typically assist in the hiring needs of various companies or “clients”. Depending on the client’s open roles, needs, and expectations, they may hire permanent employees or short-term staff members. Many staffing agencies focus on a particular specialty, like engineering or creative services.
When writing your recruiter job description, it’s important to keep in mind the type of recruiter you’re looking for. Recruiters at staffing agencies are often compared to sales professionals, and should be comfortable with cold-calling and thrive in fast-paced environments.
On the other hand, in-house recruiters are a branch of an HR department, hire to retain, and participate in the entire recruitment life-cycle (including on-boarding and exit interviews as needed).
That said, recruiters all share some essential functions and responsibilities, regardless of whether they’re in-house or at an agency. Before we dive into the job description itself, we’ll cover their key duties.
Recruiters will lead acquisition of top talent for either their company or their clients. This includes sourcing candidates using creative and effective outreach techniques, remaining in regular contact with potential candidates via email and phone, scheduling interviews, facilitating reference checks, and negotiating offers. This employee will work closely with hiring managers and the HR department and should possess strong interpersonal skills.
When it comes time for your team to hire a recruiter, the following job description can be a helpful starting point. Keep in mind this job description is written for an in-house recruiter, but we invite you to use the template and adapt it to your own organization's needs and requirements.
Are you looking to hire other administrative roles, as well? You can find more job descriptions on our full list of corporate and administrative job descriptions.
Not looking to grow your corporate department just yet? We’ve still got you covered! Check out our comprehensive guide to job descriptions.
Recruiter Job Description
With more than 400 percent growth since 2015, ACME Corporations is North America’s leading energy provider, with the single largest retail customer base nationwide. Since its founding in 2007, ACME Corporations has strived to meet the highest standards of energy delivery, customer service, and cost efficiency. Our mission is to be the top-tier energy provider while fostering a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
ACME Corporation is looking to hire a recruiter to lead the acquisition of top talent for our Chicago office. This individual should be an experienced, motivated recruiter that can help source and secure new team members for various departments within our organization. Ideal candidate is a high-energy, strong communicator with a knack for engaging experienced professionals.
- Source candidates using effective, creative outreach techniques
- Communicate with candidates via email and phone
- Schedule phone screens and interviews with candidates
- Facilitate reference checks, background checks, and offer negotiation
- Maintain candidate data and outreach in our application tracking system
- Work closely with hiring managers on headcount planning and process
- Track recruiting data to report and identify areas for improvement
- Represent ACME at recruiting events and establish ACME as a top employer of choice
- Assist on other recruiting efforts and projects as necessary
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
- You have 3+ years of experience as a recruiter
- You have experience with high-volume recruiting and sourcing techniques
- You have experience recruiting for a variety of positions
- You are highly motivated, confident, and high-energy
- You are a strong, engaging communicator with a knack for selling candidates
- You are flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- You are organized and can stay on top of numerous candidates with timely follow-up
- You have the ability to work independently in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities at various seniority levels
- Self-starter with a history of pushing for deadline-driven results
- Strong interpersonal skills, business sense, and professionalism to communicate with all levels of management and staff; ability to uphold a strict level of confidentiality and discretion
For even more help in writing your own recruiter job description, we’ve sourced the examples from three companies looking to hire.
The following examples show organizations that have followed a typical job description structure, but customized it based on their unique needs and expectations.
Recruiter Job Description Examples
To see how real employers are writing their recruiter job description, check out the examples below!
As a Corporate Recruiter at Snapsheet you will directly impact one of our most valuable assets: our people. You lead the charge for finding top talent to join our organization from Developers to Account Managers, you assist with it all. You own the full-cycle recruiting process finding innovative ways to source top talent, creating meaningful interviews, and closing offers. You are the expert for your hiring managers implementing best practices for efficient hiring and utilizing data to communicate updates purposefully. You pair your natural ability to network and connect with an informed view of the market to ensure that you connect Snapsheet with top talent. You understand that employer branding is imperative to finding and retaining talent and as such, you understand the story of Snapsheer and find unique ways to tell that story – through social campaigns, culture videos, blog posts and more.
As a Corporate Recruiter, you have a passion for uncovering top talent and getting them into the right role. You’ve established a rapport in Chicago and candidates trust you. You are naturally curious and, as such, you immerse yourself in the culture of the team you’re hiring for to fully understand their needs. On the flipside, you are a candidate advocate quickly building trust and rapport. You are a do-er: you are given a task and you finish it, you see a problem and you solve it. Additionally, you are an influencer and have the expertise and skill to drive decision making at the hiring manager and executive level.
Responsibilities of a Corporate Recruiter:
- Attract, assess, and close the top talent.
- Help to create Snapsheet’s employer story and bring top talent into the narrative.
- Partner with hiring managers to facilitate the entire recruitment process from opening a search to offer.
- Build a talent pipeline for future needs utilizing interesting and innovative strategies.
- Create meaningful interviews that give every candidate a positive interview experience.
- Balance between candidate advocate and business partner to ensure you find the best match for all parties.
- Utilize data to report on your successes and make recommendations for go-forward strategy.
- Implement and execute a purpose-driven events strategy.
- Build and apply best practices for recruitment.
- Continuously grow your network and knowledge by staying up to date with industry and tech trends.
Qualifications of a Corporate Recruiter:
- 2+ years of experience as a full-cycle recruiter.
- Proficient in recruitment tools and applicant tracking systems.
- Clear understanding of end-to-end recruitment best practices.
- Demonstrated creative approach to sourcing, attraction and candidate engagement.
- Strong communication skills & proven ability to influence.
Additionally, we expect our Corporate Recruiter (and every other Snapster) to hold true to our values:
- You do the right thing.
- You default to action.
- You are always looking for the next great thing and creating it.
- You remember the feeling - of failure, of success, of fear - and you have empathy.
- You collaborate and always remember we are stronger united.
Snapsheet is an equal opportunity employer.
New York, New York
Squarespace is known for our award-winning design, innovative technology, memorable marketing campaigns - and the people behind it all. Our Recruiting team's mission is simple: we find and hire the exceptional talent that will elevate the company and help us shape the future of online publishing. We're looking for a creative, proactive Staff Recruiter who will partner with Executives across the company to build our leadership team. This role will focus on all roles at the Director-level and above.
You will use your natural curiosity and tenacity to source, evaluate, and close candidates; your poise and attention to detail will help guide them through an efficient and memorable hiring process. As a Staff Recruiter, the future of Squarespace leadership begins with you.
This role reports into our Recruiting Team Lead in our New York headquarters.
- Manage an efficient, full-cycle recruitment process to meet senior-level hiring goals
- Build relationships with hiring managers and become a trusted partner to internal teams
- Develop a deep understanding of the goals, processes, culture and needs of the teams you support; use this knowledge to write effective job descriptions, craft recruitment strategies, and communicate with candidates
- Proactively source candidates through a variety of methods, building a consistent pipeline of talent for high priority and hard-to-fill positions
- Conduct initial phone calls with candidates, assessing them fairly and consistently
- Communicate effectively with the interview team to ensure efficient preparation prior to and during the interview process; facilitate interview and hiring discussions within teams
- Negotiate and close offers
- Serve as a Squarespace ambassador in all facets of your role, delivering a compelling view of our employer brand, as well as a pleasant and memorable candidate experience
- Develop a deep understanding of Squarespace's culture, product, strategic direction, and competitors, and use this knowledge to craft compelling messaging to potential candidates
- Communicate effectively with internal collaborators and stakeholders to ensure alignment on the specifications of each role and the requirements of each interview process
- Act as the liaison between Squarespace and any executive search firms we may use
- Maintain clear and consistent records in our applicant tracking system
- 10+ years experience as an in-house recruiter in a high growth environment
- Experience hiring for roles of all levels and various functions; a mix of technical and non-technical recruiting preferred
- Strong organizational and project management skills with a keen eye for detail
- Self-motivation and the ability to navigate ambiguity
- Tenacity, intellectual curiosity, and the drive for continuous improvement
- Excellent communication skills, including active listening abilities; confidence speaking with people of varied experience levels and backgrounds
- Positive attitude, adaptability, and the ability to navigate competing priorities
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world's most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace's team of more than 800 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Equity plan
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Free lunch and snacks
- And more ( http://squarespace.com/about/careers)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Google's known for our innovative technologies, products and services - and for the people behind them. As part of our world-class recruiting team, you're charged with finding the most interesting candidates who bring an entrepreneurial spirit, a sense of scrappiness and a diversity of thought to all they do. You're responsible for guiding candidates through our hiring process and connecting them to the magic of working at Google. You are creative and driven, with an interpersonal savvy that allows you to develop lasting relationships with both candidates and hiring managers. You're also comfortable with numbers and drawing insights from analytics to make our hiring process smarter and more efficient.
From generating pipeline to maintaining a successful offer acceptance rate, you manage the entire candidate process. By leveraging your knowledge of our clients' hiring needs and search requirements, you effectively match candidates with the roles in which they will be most successful.
We have technical and non-technical recruiting roles available for multiple skill levels. Depending on your recruiting experience, interests, and business needs, we will identify the best fit for area of focus. The area of focus will depend on what positions are available at the listed Google office location.
Great just isn't good enough for our People Operations team (you probably know us better as "Human Resources"). Made up of equal parts HR professionals, former consultants and analysts, we're the champions of Google's colorful culture. In People Ops, we "find them, grow them, and keep them" - we bring the world's most innovative people to Google and provide the programs that help them thrive. Whether recruiting the next great Googler, refining our core programs, developing talent or simply looking for ways to inject some more fun into the lives of our Googlers, we bring a data-driven approach that is reinventing the human resources field.
- Recruit top talent and achieve quarterly hiring goals.
- Provide an efficient and high-touch experience for every candidate from application stage to offer, evaluating skill level, driving the interview process and offer process, including reference checks, salary recommendations and closing of candidates.
- Negotiate complex offers to close candidates by leveraging your experience with competing for top technical talent.
- Communicate effectively with the interview team to ensure preparedness during the interview process. Share and exchange information with all levels of management.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 3 years of full-cycle technical recruiting experience in an agency or corporate setting.
- Relationship management experience.
- 5 years of recruiting experience in an agency or corporate setting.
- Experience closing senior and/or executive level candidates and negotiating complex compensation packages.
- Experience solving complex business issues and delivering significant impact as an individual contributor.
- A track record of personal accountability, strong work ethic, integrity, and proven organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to handle customer relationship management, provide strong customer consultative skills and work in a large-team environment. Ability to partner closely with hiring managers, partners and all stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with proven ability to take initiative and build strong, productive relationships.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.