A marketing manager is an invaluable asset to your team and organization as a whole.
Often, they serve as the liaison between your CMO or VP of marketing and the rest of your marketers. This means that not only do they assist in the overall marketing strategy and objectives, but they also likely play a major role in the day-to-day of the team, as well.
Depending on company structure, this employee may manage a small subset of the overall marketing team, manage processes and projects, or a combination of the two. Either way, they will likely wear quite a few different hats and interact with a variety of stakeholders.
When writing the marketing manager job description, it’s important to make sure you comprehensively outline these expectations.
Marketing Manager Duties
- Work closely with the executive team to implement and spearhead marketing initiatives
- Manage and coordinate day-to-day projects and other marketing employees
- Execute and measure results of various marketing campaigns
The size of your marketing team, and organization as a whole, may determine the particular skill set and responsibilities of your marketing manager. In this case, we’re providing a job description for a general marketing manager. This employee likely has a wide breadth of skills including brand marketing, account-based marketing, social media marketing, and more.
If you have a larger marketing department, or work for a larger organization (hint, hint: more resources), your managers may be more specialized in a particular direction (field marketing manager, event marketing manager, product marketing manager, etc.) For those job descriptions (and more), check out our full list of marketing job descriptions.
When it comes time for your team to seek out this essential new employee, the following job description can be a helpful starting point. In fact, we invite you to use the template and adapt it to your own organization's needs and requirements.
Marketing Manager Job Description
Title: Marketing Manager
With more than 400 percent growth since 2015, ACME Corporations is North America’s leading energy provider, with the single largest retail customer base nationwide. Since its founding in 2007, ACME Corporations has strived to meet the highest standards of energy delivery, customer service, and cost efficiency. Our mission is to be the top-tier energy provider while fostering a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
ACME Corporation is looking to hire a marketing manager to build and manage marketing programs and campaigns to achieve our long- and short-term organizational goals. This individual should have a successful track record of running and evaluating results of marketing initiatives. The ideal candidate has strong communication skills and a deep understanding of various marketing concentrations and channels.
- Build and enhance recognition of ACME brand and products
- Build and spearhead marketing programs to support marketing and organizational objectives; measure and analyze results
- Drive online traffic to company website
- Create lead generation opportunities and manage leads through the sales process
- Develop, create, and deliver internal and external marketing materials, including but not limited to: eBooks, blog content, sales collateral, and case studies
- Lead customer-centric thinking and craft programs to meet those target markets
- Create strategy for meeting marketing deliverables and metrics; meet individual goals and metrics
- Manage, plan, and participate at industry and company events
- Monitor, measure, and report social media activities, trends, and campaign results
- Bachelor’s in marketing or related discipline
- 5+ years of related marketing experience, preferably within industry
- Proven experience carrying out marketing efforts, including planning, prioritizing, and implementing strategy
- Strong communication skills – written and oral
- You are entrepreneurial and work well in a rapidly changing environment
- You are creative and innovative
- Highly organized and proficient at managing multiple projects at a time
- You have experience working cross-functionally to ensure marketing programs are in line with company objectives
- You are metric driven and have the ability to draw insight from complex marketing data
- Confident with a dynamic personality
For even more help in writing your own marketing manager job description, we’ve sourced the following examples from three companies looking to hire.
The following examples show organizations that have followed a typical job description structure, but customized it based on their unique needs and expectations.
Marketing Manager Job Description Examples
To see how real employers are writing their marketing manager job description, check out the examples below!
B2C Marketing Manager
The B2C Marketing Manager is responsible for leading and contributing to projects that drive revenue growth. The B2C Marketing Manager will report directly to the Director of Marketing and be responsible for the development and management of broad-based B2C marketing strategy, implementation and results. This high-impact role will work across functions and, interact with partners, vendors, and senior leaders.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Collaborate with the Director of Marketing in developing and executing the company’s B2C marketing strategy and programs, to support the company’s strategic objectives. Develop and orchestrate the learning agenda designed to acquire and retain more reward-seeking diners via direct and digital marketing, external and internal branding, advertising, sponsorships, events, and ongoing nurturing. Collaborate with an array of cross-functional team members and external vendors. This position requires a candidate with a blend of strategy, technical, creative, analytic and project management expertise. B2C experience, as well as the ability to deeply understand our diners’ motivation and tailor to their needs, are a must.
- Manage B2C marketing across lead generation, acquisition/conversion, and retention/reactivation
- Oversee execution, tracking, measurement, and reporting on B2C marketing initiatives
- Collaborate with B2B, Channel, Content, and Creative/UX, as well as Partner Relations and Sales
- Provide market forecasts, reports, and trends, and perform industry and competitive analysis to assist in business development and inform the sales process
- Lead and ensure the consistency in the messaging, branding, content, and look-and-feel of marketing materials and internal communications, coordinating and socializing across the organization
- Develop and execute B2C marketing plans that may include email and direct mail campaigns, website updates, paid search, webinars, and participation in industry conferences and events
- Bachelor’s degree background in quantitative field; master’s degree a plus
- 4-6 years experience directly managing B2C marketing programs with demonstrated ability to deliver consistently strong measurable results through lead generation and account growth
- Experience with direct, database, digital, and/or direct-response marketing, particularly with ongoing improvement and optimization through A/B or multivariate testing
- Prefer experience with consumer marketing loyalty/rewards or membership/subscription, particularly in restaurant or food service
- Self-starter; must be very comfortable with continuously changing opportunities and priorities
- Strong analytical skills, including using data and reports to review performance results, extract insights, and make recommendations for future actions
- Strong business and financial acumen to recognize and quantify strategic opportunities; skills with data analysis and spreadsheet capabilities; experience building detailed business cases
- Strong organizational and project management skills, ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines, and strong attention to detail as well as ability to “drill up” and summarize information
- Strong written and oral communication skills; team player with ability to lead and collaborate cross-functionally
- Dynamic, motivating, and entrepreneurial-minded with an internal drive to continuously hit goals and deadlines; proactive mentality with intellectual curiosity and desire to learn
- Strong experience with MS Office applications, including Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
- Prefer experience with marketing automation or email platforms like ExactTarget, Eloqua, or Hubspot
- Prefer experience with Salesforce or other CRM platforms
- Experience with business intelligence or data visualization tools like Microstrategy or Tableau a plus
- Experience with Google Analytics or other web and digital analytics tools a plus
Soho House & Co:
New York, New York
Marketing Manager, NYC, is a central role responsible for formulating local marketing programs and related communications plan to support our local community, houses, restaurants, and operators.
Main responsibilities include:
- Developing and executing a digital roadmap designed to enable best in class customer experiences
- Plan and execute SEO/SEM, .com, marketing database and advertising campaigns across Soho House & Co business units
- Measure and report performance of all digital marketing campaigns and assess against goals (KPIs and ROI)
- To create and implement a regional and category specific strategies with the operations team to achieve the goals
- Plan, execute and measure experiments and conversion tests
- To work with area managers to help deliver national campaigns and regional level marketing support plans
- Collaborate with internal teams to optimize digitally owned assets for lead generation, growth and retention
- Work in close partnership with UK HQ team to align global and North American priorities
- Plays a major role in enhancing brand awareness within the digital space as well as driving website traffic and acquiring leads/customers
- Hands-on experience building digital marketing campaigns and segments
- Strong understanding of campaign KPI performance metrics and SEO
- Experience in hospitality and ecommerce a plus
- Excellent analytical skills and confidence in utilizing data in Excel and other tools
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail
- A clear communicator both written and verbal
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines.
- Good time management and prioritization skills.
- Soho House can progress your career internationally.
- Learning & Development
- An extensive range of internally and externally run courses are available for all employees.
- Cookhouse & House Tonic
- Celebrating our passion for food and drink. Check out our monthly calendars and get involved in trips, training's and events. Available to all.
- Team Events
- From fitness sessions to cinema screenings and art classes, each month we hold a series of fun events which you can sign up to.
North America Marketing Manager
Under limited direction, responsible for creating and driving field-centered marketing programs to support the North America sales organization. Develop and manage tools to improve sales effectiveness. Drive continuous improvement in communications between the factory and the field. Manage customer visits to the factory and support key customer visits in the field.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Working with marketing and sales to develop and execute a North America marketing plan.
- Develop and drive strategically focused growth programs in North America.
- Aid in training of the sales force on products, applications, and sales strategies including the coordinating of new product introductions/training/field testing.
- Lead a small analytics team to drive awareness of BU product sales performance and the prioritization of activities.
- Work with global marketing groups on messaging and sales tools for the sales force.
- Manage customer visits to ensure a positive experience at the factory.
- Assist the sales force with customer issues and needs ranging from sales pursuits, customer buying agreements, trade shows and road shows. Includes making sales calls with sales people and key accounts people as required.
- Continuously assess relevant markets and competition, performing market analysis as needed and participating in the development of world area strategic plans and growth strategies.
- Provide feedback to the business unit concerning sales/service/product strategies as well as identifying gaps and needs of the world area back into the organization.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of flow measurement, process control and instrumentation.
- Strong knowledge of Coriolis technology, principles and future technology opportunities.
- Understanding of sales and marketing processes for technical products.
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word).
- Strong presentation skills are required. Training experience preferred.
- The ability to provide leadership and to work in a team environment.
- Five years relevant experience in a technical sales or marketing environment
- At least two years of marketing experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Engineering or related technical field highly preferred
- MBA or other relevant advanced degree desirable.