Some view blocking others on social media as petty, but I view it as a form of self-care.
Think about it. If there’s a TV show on that you don’t want to watch, what do you do? Sit there and suffer through it because you feel it’s polite to the actors?
No. You change the channel.
If you’ve been subjected to content you don’t wish to see on social media, you should do the same thing. Blocking a user means they virtually do not exist anymore.
You cannot see their profiles or search their names. Their photos, videos, and statuses no longer appear in your feeds. You can no longer tag them in things, and vice versa
You may want to block someone because you’ve gone through a break-up, or because you want to protect your privacy from a certain person. Maybe you’d rather an HR manager not be able to see your college photo albums.
No matter the reason, my opinion remains the same: if you don’t want to look at someone’s posts on social media, don’t.
Follow these steps to learn how to block someone on every existing social media network.
How to block someone on every social network
Unfortunately for us, there is not yet a button we can press that immediately blocks people on every social media network we have. I’ve blocked someone on Facebook before only to remember I was following them on Instagram.
While the instructions for blocking people on various platforms are not difficult, they are different. If you’re looking to block someone on one particular social media platform, make sure you use the right instructions by finding the platform in the link below.
|How to block someone on social media - Table of Contents|
|1. How to block someone on Facebook|
|2. How to block someone on Instagram|
|3. How to block someone on Twitter|
|3. How to block someone on Snapchat|
|3. How to block someone on YouTube|
Blocking someone on Facebook will completely blind that person to your profile, and you to theirs. You will not be able to see their posts or their profile, and they will not come up in your search bar.
If you want to block someone on Facebook, follow the steps below.
Steps to blocking someone on Facebook
1. Log into your Facebook
2. Go to the profile page of the person you are trying to block (As of yet, you cannot block business pages)
3. Click on the ellipsis on the top right-hand corner of their profile, next to “follow” and “message”
4. Scroll down and click “block”
5. Confirm that you would like to block that person
To read more about this particular process, read our full article on How to Block Someone on Facebook.
Blocking someone on Instagram removes their posts from your feed, and removes their stories from view. From their vantage point, they won’t be able to find your profile, posts or story. Instagram does not inform users when you block them.
To block someone on Instagram, follow the steps below.
Steps to blocking someone on Instagram
1. Log into Instagram on mobile or desktop
2. Go to the profile of the person you are trying to block
3. Click on the ellipsis in the right-hand corner of their profile
4. Select “block” from the top of the list
5. Confirm you would like to block this person
To unblock someone on Instagram, visit their profile at any time and take the same steps while pressing “unblock”
To read more about this particular process, read our full article on How to Block Someone on Instagram.
If you decide to block someone on Twitter, they will not be able to follow you or see your tweets. You do not have to be following someone to block them; you can block anyone. You will no longer be able to see tweets from them and you will see no notifications from their account.
Steps to blocking someone on Twitter
1. Go to the Twitter profile of the person you are trying to block
2. Click on the “settings” symbol at the top of their profile (this symbol looks like a small gear)
3. Select “block” from this list
4. Confirm that you would like to block them
To unblock someone on Twitter, go to the profile of the person you would like to unblock and select “unblock.”
If you block someone on Snapchat, they can no longer see your story or send you photos or videos. You can no longer send them photos or videos. Although if you’re trying to block someone, this is kinda the point.
Steps to block someone on Snapchat
1. Log into Snapchat
2. Open a chat with the person you intend to block
3. Click on the “menu” button (three horizontal lines) in the top left-hand corner of the screen
4. Select “block” from this menu
Their chat will be deleted and you can no longer contact each other via Snapchat
To read more about this particular process, read our full article on How to Block Someone on Snapchat.
Blocking a user on YouTube will prevent them from commenting on videos on your channel, or videos you have uploaded
Steps to blocking someone on YouTube
1. Begin by logging onto YouTube
2. Go to the profile page — not a video page — of the person you intend to block
3. Click on “About” from the menu at the top
4. Find and click the flag icon underneath their stats
5. Select “block” from this list
6. Confirm you would like to block this person
Out of sight, out of mind
Now that you have successfully blocked your enemies on one or more of these social media platforms, you are free to go about your life without the worry of seeing their second-rate content on your feeds. (I shouldn’t say this, I’m sure your enemies have wonderful content.)
If you’d like to learn how to further customize your social media platforms, check out the following articles: