Whether it’s yet another data breach that has you worried about the security of your information or you’ve simply had enough of all the bad opinions shouted at top volume, it is possible to rid yourself of all your social media accounts.
Though it often feels like social media plays a critical role in our everyday lives, the truth is that lots of people out there live happy, fulfilling lives without sharing each moment with every last personal connection. Due to my job responsibilities and personal addiction to Instagram, I remain tethered to all of these networks, but I offer you my most sincere kudos on doing what so many of us don’t have the guts to.
Onward! Let’s learn how to delete all social media accounts across five of the most popular platforms - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
How to delete all your social media accounts
Each social network will need to be deleted individually. Use these steps to delete each account.
Deleting Facebook can be done in a few simple steps if you’re trying to delete a Facebook page.
It’s important to understand the difference between a Facebook page and a Facebook profile. A Facebook page is an individual page that is created for marketing purposes - Facebook business pages or Facebook fan pages.
Steps to delete a Facebook page
- Log into Facebook
- Go to your Facebook pages
- Click the page you wish to deleteGo to the page settings
- Click the “Edit” button next to “Remove page”
- Select “Delete <your page name>”Click “Delete page”
Deleting, or deactivating a Facebook profile is a bit different.
Steps to deactivate or delete Facebook account
- Log into Facebook
- Click the small upside down triangle in the right corner
- Click “Settings”
- Click “Manage Account”
- Click “Deactivate your account” or “Request account deletion”
If you’re looking for even more details, please view our full guide of how to delete a Facebook page. This includes how to merge and unpublish a Facebook page, as well as other options to consider before deleting.
Deleting Twitter, whether a personal or Twitter business page, can be done in a matter of moments.
Steps to delete Twitter account
- Log into Twitter
- Click your photo to open account settings
- Click “Settings and privacy”
- At the bottom, click “Deactivate your account”
Want to learn more about deleting and deactivating Twitter? Check out how to delete Twitter accounts.
Even though the thought of deleting Instagram makes my stomach drop (where will I watch hundreds of nail-painting videos, knowing full well that I’ll never do it myself?), it’s easy to delete an Instagram account.
Steps to delete Instagram account
- Go to Instagram's Delete Your Account page
- Select your reason for deleting Instagram permanently from the drop-down menu
- Re-enter your password and click 'Permanently delete my account'
Need some step-by-step visuals? Look at our full guide on how to delete an Instagram account.
Had enough of dog faces and warped filters? Don’t blame you. Here’s how to delete your Snapchat account.
Steps to delete Snapchat account
- Click your bitmoji or name in the top left corner
- Click the gear emoji to open settings
- Click “accounts portal”
- Delete account
Confused about the steps above? Read our full instructions for how to delete Snapchat.
YouTube is linked to Google, and it can seem challenging to delete a YouTube channel. However, there are actually surprisingly few steps to make this happen.
Steps to delete YouTube account
- Sign in to the account you wish to delete.
- Go to advanced account settings.
- Select delete channel.
- Select I want to permanently delete my content.
- Confirm you want to delete your channel.
- Select delete my channel.
Still need more information? We’ve put together a full guide for on how to delete a Youtube account.
There you have it - the five top social networks, and how to get rid of your accounts with them. Be free!
Consider taking your purse of social media one step further by learning how to delete your LinkedIn account. If you decide blocking people is better than deleting all of your social media profiles, check out How to Block Someone on Social Media.